I'll take it...although I did specify the "append= " devfs=nomount" " option
in lilo.conf.  I tried turning it on and off for the mandrake kernel.  I have
it off for the kernel.org kernel - haven't tried turning it on.  In any case,
the basic kernel starts fine.

I'd like to try the patch, however, on the Mandrake kernel.

thanks,
praedor

On Sunday 27 January 2002 01:39 pm, Michael Leone wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-01-27 at 15:37, Praedor Tempus wrote:
> > I am running Mandrake 8.1 with updates on an IBM Thinkpad 1412.
> >
> > I downloaded and built the source rpm for the Mandrake
> > kernel-2.4.17-10mdk. There were no errors, no apparent problems.  It will
> > not, however, boot. At bootup, it panics - cannot mount root fs at 01:00.
> >  I have a 2.4.17 kernel built and running from kernel.org on this same
> > system without problems.  It boots right up - and I used virtually the
> > same config file to build the 2.4.17-10mdk kernel as I did the basic
> > 2.4.17 kernel.  The only differences were that I enabled supermount and a
> > few of the grsecurity settings in the Mandrake kernel which were not
> > available to the basic kernel.org kernel.
> >
> > I do not believe that any of the grsecurity settings I selected would
> > have anything to do with the mandrake kernel's inability to mount the
> > root fs.
> >
> > Anyone get it working?  Anyone know how to get around the panic?
>
> DevFS changed in 2.4.17. Don't load it, or apply the DevFS root patch. I
> have it around here somewhere, if you need it. It's really small. :-)
[...]