True enough...and I am presently running a mostly functional box with the
kernel.org 2.4.17 kernel, but when I run into problems like I have mentioned,
I wonder if there is something wrong with my box (a missing lib, screwed up
config, bad hardware) and so I want to see it corrected.  I am also about to
be connecting to/using a rather insecure network and hoped that having the
grsecurity stuff would add an extra layer of protection to my system - AND I
always hope that maybe Mandrake, vs kernel.org, has added something that will
FIX MY SOUND PROBLEM.

As for this sound problem, I have built the solo1 driver (and sound support)
into my kernel.  Every other sound-related module is off/not built and I have
shut off alsa.  At this point I do not know if it is an inherent problem with
KDE and arts or the kernel but EVERY time I startup, I get warning messages
from Artsd that it could not connect to /tmp/mcop-praedor/<my machine - some
unique number string> and that there was a CPU overload and the process is
shutting down (artsd is shutting down).  I then have to manually restart
artsd and then sound is OK.  This is not the way it should be.  It seems that
KDE is retarded with regards to cleaning itself up - leaving servers/files in
/tmp on a seemingly permanent basis rather than temporarily - and then KDE
has a cow when it cannot connect to an OLD mcop server.

This is one of the main driving forces behind me trying to build the latest
cooker kernels.  Beyond this sound problem, the system runs fine but DAMN I
wish I could use a different soundserver properly with KDE rather than the
braindead artsd.

On Sunday 27 January 2002 02:44 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Man, it just seems like you're wasting a lot of time working on this
> when you've got a fully functioning 2.4.17 kernel that you've
> successfully built from source.
[...]