I should add that I tried to run mkinitrd manually (after power-cycling from the
system freeze) on the new kernel to get an initrd image. Needless to say, my
system froze hard again. I then tried replacing some packages (like mkinitrd,
initscripts and setup) from Cooker, but the problem persists.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

        "I once preached peaceful coexistence with Windows.
           You may laugh at my expense -- I deserve it."
                -- Jean-Louis Gassée, founder of BeOS