I may give that a shot myself (used to do it that way).
I noticed that devfs seems to be REALLY broken now rather than just
experimental and buggy.  I built the 2.4.17 kernel and created an initrd for
it - and it works ONLY if I do the 'append= "devfs nomount"' deal in lilo.
Change it to "devfs mount" and all hell breaks loose - well, nothing breaks
loose, which is the problem.  Upon bootup there is a kernel panic and an
inability to load the root filesystem, yadda, yadda.  Change it back to
"devfs=nomount" and all is well again.  I'm wondering if flushing the
initrd.img down the toilet and simply booting the kernel proper would allow
it to bootup with devfs activated?

I was trying this as one of many desperate means to get Alsa/sound working
with my laptop.  It was a flimsy longshot but I was trying it and found the
absolute impossibility of bootup at all with devfs activated (yes, it was
selected in xconfig so the kernel "supports" it).

praedor

On Wednesday 06 February 2002 07:19 am, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> Thanks, that worked very well. I still have no idea why mkinitrd freezes my
> computer, but it doesn't matter since I don't need an initrd image anyway
> :)
>
> On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 15:18:18 +1100 (EST), Steve Kieu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > > 5. Run 'make modules_install && make install'.
> >
> > I nerver did that, I just 'make modules_install' and
> > manually copy the bzImage file from arch/i386/boot to
> > /boot and manually modify lilo.conf. always work :-)

[...]