> Thanks, that works but it still is not the screensaver I expected; cmatrix
> runs like a game any ideas how to make the screensaver part work?

What you see on the console Is ( AFAIK - as far as I know )  all it
does.

If you maximize the console and run it,  it IS the screensaver.

I use it this way sometimes because I liked the regular martix
screensaver that was part of 7.2's xscreensaver. but since 8.0 none
available. there is supposed to be one out for the 8.1, or probably more
likely 8.2 distro.
 the rpm is very small , you can try it but I couldn't get it to work

look for kde-matrix-1.0tex.i686.rpm

If you can't find it I can send it privately

Mike