On Wed, 6 Feb 2002 08:12:05 -0700, Praedor Tempus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I may give that a shot myself (used to do it that way).
> I noticed that devfs seems to be REALLY broken now rather than just
> experimental and buggy.  I built the 2.4.17 kernel and created an initrd for
> it - and it works ONLY if I do the 'append= "devfs nomount"' deal in lilo.
> Change it to "devfs mount" and all hell breaks loose - well, nothing breaks
> loose, which is the problem.  Upon bootup there is a kernel panic and an
> inability to load the root filesystem, yadda, yadda.  Change it back to
> "devfs=nomount" and all is well again.  I'm wondering if flushing the
> initrd.img down the toilet and simply booting the kernel proper would allow
> it to bootup with devfs activated?

I have no devfs problems at all with my compiled 2.4.17-mjc3 kernel, so it may
help not using your initrd file. You can usually disable it loading in your boot
manager's config file (e.g. /etc/lilo.conf for LILO).

> I was trying this as one of many desperate means to get Alsa/sound working
> with my laptop.  It was a flimsy longshot but I was trying it and found the
> absolute impossibility of bootup at all with devfs activated (yes, it was
> selected in xconfig so the kernel "supports" it).

It doesn't hurt to try...

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

                Windows - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell
                for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system
                originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
                written by a 2 bit company
                that can't stand 1 bit of competition!