Praedor:

I don't know what your problem is, but what I can say is that it's related to
your system, and not Winex.  I can tell you that I've had unprecedented
success with installing and running Baldur's Gate 2....a game of such size
and complexity that I NEVER expected to see this soon in the "game".  Pun
intended.

There are several issues with regard to Winex that you might want to
consider.  First, I myself had wine installed at one time, which I
uninstalled and subsequently bought and downloaded. Incidentally the
subscription cost is only something like $6.00 a month, so I don't really
understand the ire you have at paying that either; I pay more for bubblegum
machine support in three days for my son than that.

Anyway, I noticed that winex was "tickling the hard drive", as you say.
Since my system was getting some age on it, I backed up my ~/ directory,
formatted the partitions, and reinstalled LM81 from scratch, with nothing
except KDE workstation, development stuff, and Enlightenment.  After getting
my home directory back in place, I reinstalled winex, and slapped Baldur's
Gate 2, Installation disk 1 in the main CDROM just for grins and giggles.

I was thrilled to see an installation screen come up.  I had to shunt to a
root Eterm and mount/unmount the CD's every time there was a CD change, but
that was probably because I havent taken the time to enable supermount or
something similar.  In any case, the game installed and I brought it up (WITH
SOUND !!!).  Needless to say, as this was something I've been waiting for for
quite a while, I've seldom been more thrilled.

The bottom line here is that I think you need to seriously reexamine your own
configuration from the standpoint of a fresh install that's never had Wine
installed at all.

Darklord:

Have you tried networking BG2, by any chance?

David Joham wrote:

> With all due respect, instead of arbitrary complaints, perhaps a "I
> tried this and it didn't work-any suggestions?" Email might be more
> constructive :)
>
> Unless you were just venting. In that case, I understand.
>
> My experience with winex has been very good. It doesn't need much
> configuration because it tries to guess all of the configuration itself,
> for better or worse. Maybe I got lucky.
>
> What are you trying to accomplish?
>
> David

Ditto here. Works great. I did change my config file to add my CDRW as well as
my first CD (which is a DVD) but other than that...flawless, even allowing me
to play networking with Diablo 2: LOD with my sons Windoze boxes...

--

                                                                       /\
                                                                   Dark><Lord