All,
  In the intrest of making wine work a little bit better I offer this config file
tweak I did to the font's section.  It seems to make it work faster/better
---snip---

[afmdirs]
"1" = "/usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript/fonts"
"2" = "/usr/share/a2ps/afm"
"3" = "/usr/share/enscript"
"4" = "/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1"
"5" = "/usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/urw/helvetic"
"6" = "/usr/local/open/share/siag/common/fonts"
"7" = "/usr/share/eel/fonts/urw"
"8" = "/usr/share/fonts/afms/adobe"
"9" = "/usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/urw/courier"
"10" = "/usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/urw/avantgar"
"11" = "/usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/urw/times"
"12" = "/usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/urw/palatino"
"13" = "/usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/urw/zapfding"
"14" = "/usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/urw/ncntrsbk"
"15" = "/usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/urw/symbol"
"16" = "/usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/urw/bookman"
"17" = "/usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/bitstrea/charter"
"19" = "/usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/adobe/helvetic"
"20" = "/usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/adobe/courier"
"21" = "/usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/adobe/times"
"22" = "/usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/adobe/palatino"
"23" = "/usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/adobe/ncntrsbk"
"24" = "/usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/adobe/avantgar"
"25" = "/usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/adobe/zapfchen"
"26" = "/usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/adobe/symbol"
"27" = "/usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/adobe/utopia"
"28" = "/usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/adobe/bookman"
"29" = "/usr/share/AbiSuite/fonts"

---snip----

There are more .afm font's in Mandrake 8.1 but these alone seem to vastly improve
performance.

James