Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this!  I caught your message when
> I was back scanning the threads.

Lyvim,

No problem, thanks for replying!

> > Lyvim,
> >
> > Questions: Have you ever tried any of the dcop (or kdcop) stuff for
> > interprocess communication among apps?  Does it work under
> > Enlightenment?
>
> Well, the only thing that I can say is that the dcop stuff is active,
> definitely.  No doubt.  I can see the dcop links in my home directory are
> valid when X and E are running.
>
> Now...the real question would require a test between two applications, or
> something similar.  The problem is that I never run KDE, so I don't know
> wether my everyday operations include real interprocess communications
> functions or not.  I'm still fascinated with transparent Eterms, and the
> occasional MS Word document imports.  Well....of course then there's Baldur's
> Gate 2, also.  Can you give me a test to run?  I use the middle button alot
> to paste selections from other areas, but I don't think this is what you are
> referring to.  What would constitute a valid test?

Just the fact that dcop is active is encouraging.  I found some stuff I
recorded on my home TWiki (guess it's time to move it to WikiLearn) --
read the third paragraph below and try some of the commands listed below
that:

(PS: I agree, I don't think middle button pasting is a valid test of
dcop -- don't think dcop has anything to do with that (but I could be
wrong).)

<quoted from Advogato, http://www.advogato.org/article/242.html >
Some of this already works in KDE 2, posted 11 Feb 2001 by tackat>

What if the Unix GUI didn't need a mouse? What if every application
could be controlled solely with the keyboard?

This is already possible in KDE 2 for a long time via DCOP. Fire up
kwrite (make sure you don't have two kwrites there at the same time --
otherwise you have to add the pid to those commands) and type into your
favourite xterm:

--snip--

 dcop kwrite KWriteIface insertText 'Windows rocks!' true

 dcop kwrite KWriteIface setCursorPosition 0 8 true

 dcop kwrite KWriteIface insertText 'sux! KDE ' true

 dcop kwrite KWriteIface shiftHome

 dcop kwrite KWriteIface writeFile 'conquer_your_desktop.txt'

--snip--

or check your Mail using KMail by entering:

 dcop kmail KMailIface checkMail

or bind the command "dcop kdesktop KScreensaverIface? lock" to your
"Pause"-key using kmenuedit. That way you can start kscreensaver by
pressing the "Pause"-key.

To explore the possibilities you might want to use kdcop.
</quote>

> Did you hear that BeOS has sued Microsoft?
Yes, but there is too much news -- I have trouble remembering most of
it.  If they win, I think I'll remember that.

regards,
Randy Kramer