like I said, its the tool you find more useful for the job..

when I said system stuff, I meant more complete DB interfaces and the
like...

I have heard many good php programmers state that large projects like php
nuke tend to end up with messy code with subsequent versions, I have not
done alot of projects with php that are large in scale, so I can't comment.

as for mod_perl, its getting more and more common a setup, I was surprised
to find that more then half the hosts in my area have it.

I write scripts to cover every eventuality, so at the lower end, just
standard cgi-bin perl, and session ids and stuff written to file..
at the higher end, mod_perl and MySQL.

works great, the majority of people have low turnover shopping carts and
want to install the scirpt themselves, so cgi-bin perl is the way to go..

if an enterprise setup is requested and we have full access we setup the
mod_perl and MySQL version, works great.
Very Quick.

I work for a Online Payment Gateway and that side of things is written in
JAVA running in JRUN, lots of servlets and a MySQL DB. so its a matter of
what tool you are most productive in..

personal preference really.

Now if you were promoting ASP, we'd have more to say :-)

rgds

Frank