On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 14:09:14 +1300
Tom Eastman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 10:37:57PM -0500, Hoyt wrote:
> > Sure. i have it, but it's -- 7.0 --
>
> But to be honest, most of the really impressive advances that have
> happened since 7.0 have been in KDE/GNOME/other graphical interfaces and
> stuff like that.  Most of the stuff that a 486 doesn't have the power to
> use effectively anyway.
>
> IMHO (emphasis on the H) 7.0 would probably work well, and then couldn't
> you upgrade from there using SRPMS?
>
> Have there been many kernel advances since 7.0 that would make it
> worthwhile on a 486 (by that I mean, not just driver advances for new
> equipment that a 486 won't have anyway)?
>
>       Tom

True enough that a 486 isn't a speed deamon.  However my 486 amd running
at 100mhz can run win98 and win2000 so why not kde? or Gnome. (in fact it
does it rather well I might add) The biggest limits are, installers that
need 64 megs of ram, poor memory management in coding(the original Star
office anyone), and the wait for kernels to compile (I cheat and throw the
drive on a faster box) why not iptables... it doesn't take an Athlon
1800xp to run nat.  I've got a p75 with 16 megs of ram working as my
firewall. Since I rolled my own on that one I've got a 2.4 kernel and more
running just fine. (hardly ever swaps even with the low mem.) IPtables are
in and of themself worth the upgrade.  In fact from lilo to command prompt
it boots faster than my 1 gig.  (hmmmmm) Why throw these boxes into land
files when they can work so well.  My business partner and the president
of a local users group has a cluster of 386 and 486 boxes doing prime
number generation (that cluster screems too.) (15 boxes and maybe 250
dollars invested) Granted Quake and StarCraft don't work well on one of
these but when you are in a 25 mph zone a Ferrari is as fast as a Kia. How
much cpu power does it take to write an e-mail!

James