On Sat, 06 Apr 2002 23:53:37 -0600 "J. Craig Woods"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> daRcmaTTeR wrote:

Must be a slow morning... :^)

<tweaked from RFC1122>

      1.2.2  Robustness Principle

         At every layer of the [discussions], there is a general rule
whose         application can lead to enormous benefits in [exchanges] and
         [helpfulness] [IP:1]:

                "Be liberal in what you accept, and
                 conservative in what you send"

         [Lists members] should be [able] to deal with every conceivable
         [post], no matter how unlikely; sooner or later a [post] will
         come in with that particular combination of [rants] and
         [stupidity], and unless the [list member] is prepared, chaos can
         ensue.  In general, it is best to assume that the [list] is
         filled with malevolent entities that will send in [posts]
         designed to have the worst possible effect.  This assumption
         will lead to suitable protective [responses], although the most
         serious problems in the Internet have been caused by
         unenvisaged [idiots] triggered by low-[relevance] events;
         mere human malice would never have taken so devious a course!

         [technical stuff snipped]

         The second part of the principle is almost as important:
         [users] on other hosts may contain deficiencies that make it
         unwise to exploit legal but obscure [responses].  It is
         unwise to stray far from the obvious and simple, lest untoward
         effects result elsewhere.  A corollary of this is "watch out
         for misbehaving [users]"; [list recipients] should be prepared,
not         just to survive other misbehaving [posters], but also to
cooperate         to limit the amount of disruption such [jerks] can cause
to the         shared communication facility.
</tweaked from RFC1122>

:^)
Pierre