On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 21:10 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> But Wolfgang, OOo and Staroffice 6 are fully compatible with Microsofts
> Office files; you can read or save files in powerpoint, word or excel
> format. Perhaps more problems about access.
>
> And you can share files between computers runing linux, macs, solaris
> and windows.
>
> In our laboratory all we work with latex or with OOo/Staroffice; some of
> the documents need to be saved in M$Office formats (mainly word) and we
> have not problems to do that.

More often than not I try it with the new versions: Get a spreadsheet
created in Excel, consisting of several sheets which are connected
through formulas and links. Import it into StarCalc, edit some links and
export it again as Excel file. As soon as you open it with Excel and
start working with it some links are broken.

Get a Word doc with footnotes and images. Import it into StarWriter, edit
some footnotes and insert a page or two. Export it as a Word file and
open it with Word. You'll have to do a lot of editing to get it right
again.

I don't say it's StarOffice's fault. It may rather be M$ Office to blame
but who cares?

The problem is NOT the ability of StarOffice to import and edit M$ Office
files. The problem is the ability of M$ Office to import StarOffice
files. And guess who gets the blame?

wobo
--
Registered Linux User 228909       Powered By Mandrake Linux 8.1
PDAs? Laptops? Linux? UnddasallesineinemWort? http://www.xtops.de !