Yes, you are absolutely correct Wolfgang.  As much as I would love SO to
be 100% foolproof in handling M$ formats, I get problems on even
reasonably simple files.  SO6 beta was better and maybe SO 6 final has
got it right, but even if the problems you referred to have been
adressed, as soon as you have a file with macros included...that's all
folks.  Sure you can preserve the macros when saving, but you sure can't
use them!  Embedded graphs in Excel also screw up big time - at least in
SO 6 beta. In 5.2 they didn't make it to the screen at all.

Despite this, I use SO almost exclusively, cause I'd rather the grief it
causes than the grief the M$ products bring.

Brian