I'm not an expert, but doesn't Mandrake only have to
provide the source for all the modifications Mandrake
did.  Can Mandrake NOT provide the ISOs for free?  And
does Mandrake need to provide the source for all the
other applications, etc that they bundle up in the
Mandrake distrio.  The source for these programs can
be found elsewhere.

Can somebody please explain this to me?

What does Mandrake need to provide to comply with the
GPL?

Thanks,
Robert

--- KevinO <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> sda wrote:
> >  RS has no problem with this at all, free
> > as in speech, not necessarily free as in beer. The
> heart of
> > GNU/Linux is still free as in beer, however the
> ease of use necessarily
> > isn't or shouldn't be IMHO.
> >
> But RMS's license states that once I buy, download,
> whatever some GPL'd code,
> I am now
> free to give away this software however I please.
> Mandrake could run people
> off of their ftp servers if they wish, but they
> can't keep the latest versions
> out of the hands of the non-payers, unless they
> start writing code from
> scratch. This code would have to be totally
> non-derived from anything GPL'd
> and this would allow an alternative license. This of
> course would be seen as
> most unfriendly....
>
> The situation is a little more complicated than
> this, but this is it in a
> nutshell.
>

> --
> Kevin O'Connor
>
>   "People will be free to devote themselves to
> activities that are fun ...
>
> The GNU Manifesto - Copyright (C) 1985, 1993 Free
> Software Foundation, Inc.
>

> > Want to buy your Pack or Services from
MandrakeSoft?