On Tuesday 14 May 2002 10:26 pm, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> On Tue, 14 May 2002 18:02:12 -0500, Tom Brinkman
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > And ... I believe it's not quite time to upgrade an AMD
> > system till the Thorobreds come out.

> Are the Thoroughbreds really that good? From what I have read, they
> are not much more than Palomino cores shrunk down to 0.09 microns.
> If you want a cache improvement, you'll have to wait for Barton,
> which is due to be released (according to AMD's roadmap) very close
> to Hammer-time (sorry -- Opteron-time). Clock speeds won't increase
> by very much, but I'm sure the shrunken die will make overclocking
> a bit safer.

      I don't believe they'll be that much better either, but they
are comin soon, and will support (and have motherboard support) for
internal monitoring of the cpu core temperature. A major item that
has been sorely lacking from AMD cpu's. June 10th is the date I've
heard. I probly should'a said 'not quite time to upgrade an _athlon_
system. It's long been time to upgrade lesser AMD or Intel systems.
Specially since a 1.4 Tbird can be had for as little as $75, and can
be run just fine on an AMD apprv'd $70 motherboard usin any old sdram
(at 1.53 gig and outperform a P4 at 2 gig).

    The thinner .13 micron T-bred die (XP's are .18) should make for
lower temps under load.  OC'ing athlons has been difficult with the
XP versions, probly even more so with the T-breds due to more
intricate locking by AMD and the Tbirds/XP's run so damn hot.  Last
good oc'rs were the 1. > 1.4 Tbirds. Instructions per clock (P4=6,
XP=9) and on die cache have been and will continue to be superior to
Intel's P4. It takes a P4 at 2.53 gig to out bench an XP2100+ (1.73
gig). So I believe the days of measuring cpu's primarily on clock
speed are long over.
--
    Tom Brinkman                    Corpus Christi, Texas