On Wed, 15 May 2002 23:27:11 -0700
James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The question I'd have on this thread is:  For none high end applications
> is it worth it to be on the edge?  1.0 of anything is usually not good.
> I also think about things like nics (I've fried a few) etc.  Whereas a
> Linksys or Netgear can be bought for 15 bucks in the US it scares me to
> think that I could lose a mobo cause my nic went down.  For personal use
> and for High reliability, I really like to stay one step behind the
> curve.  Wait till the bug fix version comes out.  (very important if you
> are buying closed source software!) Am I alone in this attitude?

I have not read the reviews of the MOBOs from this thread so I am speaking only of
integrated sound and NIC.

I have a SOYO Dragon+ which has both integrated sound and NIC.
As Sridhar made note in his last post in most cases this means VIA, which is the case
with the SOYO.
It Is straight hardware and taxes CPU no more than any other NIC.

The sound is CMI 5.1, and this too is also the case with the other brands of upper end
MOBOs, though there are a couple that use versions
of the SBLive.
Sound quality and features are excellent.

Both the sound and the NIC can be disabled in the BIOS, so replacing or choosing to
use a different component is hassle free and causes no difficulty.

In todays market if you are looking at any of the upperend MOBOs onboard
sound and NIC are a Plus.
You still want to shy away from them on the lower end budget boards and I personally
would 'never again' use any board that has onboard video, but that's another story.

    Charles