On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, bascule wrote:

> well that has certainly helped charles,
> my system hangs about every 16 hrs now instead of within minutes!
> however this length of time between hangs means i'm having great difficulty
> working out what the problem is,
> oh well..

On a couple of my systems, Mandrake 8.2 had been unstable until I rebuilt
the kernel and cleaned out everything that I didn't need, especially
almost all the "experimental" features. Since then it's been absolutely
solid under moderately high load.

You might also want to run lmsensors to make sure that your CPU is being
cooled properly.