On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 15:09:18 +0100
bascule <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> well that has certainly helped charles,
> my system hangs about every 16 hrs now instead of within minutes!
> however this length of time between hangs means i'm having great
> difficulty working out what the problem is,
> oh well..

Have no idea if this will be of any use.
But I had 1 system with an ATI Xpert 2000 (rage128) which when running
8.2 would periodically and randomly lock-up in X.
The cursor would still freely move but nothing else would work, keyboard
dead etc.
I installed the cooker snap isos on this system and I no longer had that
problem, BUT if the system went into sleep/stand-by mode for longer than
20-30 mint it to come out.
I was about to take the sledgehammer rectification approach but decide
to try changing video drivers first.
I switched form the default r128 to ati and I have had no problem since
with that system.

   Charles

You are always doing something marginal when the boss drops by your desk
                -- Murphy's Laws on Work n°22
Charles A Edwards
[EMAIL PROTECTED]