I just upgraded my old super 7 based system to a Epox 8K3A / Athlon
system.  The 8K3A has sound on board and I'm trying to get it going.

When I booted for the first time after the upgrade, I ran kudzu and it
found the ac97 sound ( and the usb controller) so I thought I was set.
I looked under /proc and the pci file contains the sound "card". The
sound modules load into the kernel as well.

However, under the control center, there are no sound cards listed in
the hardware and when I try to play a sound file using xmms, it wont
even play...when I hit play, it stays at 0:00 seconds...

If I am typing in the terminal and I hit backspace too many times, I do
get beeps out of the speakers so I think the hardware is fine.

Anyone set up ac97 sound recently?  The sound howto is extremely
outdated and not much help.

Darren