On Sun, 7 Jul 2002 17:32:11 +0800 (WST)
Ashley Reynolds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said with temporary authority

> On 7 Jul 2002, Darren King wrote:
>
> > If I am typing in the terminal and I hit backspace too many times, I
> > do get beeps out of the speakers so I think the hardware is fine.
>
> How the heck do you stop it from beeping when you backspace too far at
> a console?  I know this has nothing to do with your problem, but it's
> been bugging me for ages.  :)
>
> > Darren
>
> Ashley

Darren,
   Actually the "beep" you hear has nothing to do with your sound card.
the PCM speaker used by the mobo for "alarms" (yes your Mobo actually
has beep codes to warn you of problems during boot.) doesn't go through
or use the sound card at all.  In fact just for grits and shins I've got
a little Libretto 30 that plays sound through the PCM speaker. (no sound
on this box) sounds like heck but it works...

James

Ashley

  You'll need to look in the man page for your terminal window.  Some
have a preferences tab (like gnome-terminal) others have a switch you
would had to the start info in the menu link. But the command usually
has something to do with silencing the terminal bell.  Xterm for example
has a choice between blinking and beeping.

James