James wrote:

> On 08 Jul 2002 12:45:26 +1000
> Darren King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said with temporary authority
>
> > Really.  I don't have the pc speaker hooked up.  So why is is that if
> > I put my ear to the speaker that is connected to the sound card, I can
> > clearly hear the beep coming from there?
>
>   Well paint me red and call be embarrassed.  I guess your term does go
> through the sound card.  Surprised I am.  I've never seen/heard this but
> I don't doubt you.... since your the one sitting in front of the box.
> Tried to make one of mine do it.... no such luck...

OK, you are painted red, and hello "embarrassed". Actually there is some
silly setup switch in the gui, such as KDE, where you can have your
system beep (term) go to your external speakers, as opposed to using the
system speaker. I've used it in the past but don't really remember where
the switch is, and I don't really care either.

Maybe this function is turned on for the user having the sound problems
but it does not mean the sound card is fully setup to do all you would
hope that it can do. I think we would need to know a bit more about the
problem in order to diagnose it from afar...

drjung

--
J. Craig Woods
UNIX/NT Network/System Administration