Todd,

I am afraid, my problem is more serious and is not KDE-specific. Just tried
Gnome and get exactly the same bundle of problems as in KDE: zip is not
mounted properly, what file browsers as well as 'ls -ll' show me is NOT
what's on the disk!
I plug in a disk, but the file tree I see on it actually belongs to another
zip disk, and it doesn't change if I try other disks. Needless to say, I
can't write to the disks (all of which work fine in Win98).

I recall now it started to go haywire after I installed a local printer with
HardDrake. The printer also stopped working properly very soon after the
installation (maybe when I accessed the zip...). So, the real problem must be
some serious conflict b/w zip and printer. I'll start digging there...

Thanks,
Aleksey