Networking gurus, your knowledge is desperately needed...

I have my Mdk8.2 box setup on our corporate network with a static IP. Call
it mybox.foo.com. I have a laptop running Win2K that lives on our wireless
LAN and uses a DHCP-allocated IP and lives in a subnet. Call it
laptop.dhcp.foo.com. The trouble is that unless I first ping the laptop from
mybox, I cannot reach mybox from the laptop. More problematically, if I
leave an ssh connection from the laptop to mybox idle for more than say 5
minutes the connection dies. If I reboot into Win2K on mybox I don't have to
ping first to allow the laptop to connect and connections once made continue
to work for as long as you like. It just works.

Our LAN admin, who clearly knows much more about Windows, is pointing the
finger at the OS since he isn't required to support Linux. Our network has a
bunch of VLANs in it, the details to which I am not privy but if there's
something that might be relevant I can ask him about it. On the other hand,
if anyone understands what's going on here that has to do with how I've got
mybox configured I would really love to know. Just to be clear, I'm not
running any firewalls or anything, no iptables, ipchains, etc. I am running
NFS, Samba, ssh, and proftpd.

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts,

::mark