Todd Lyons grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> David Guntner wrote on Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 08:33:02PM -0700 :
>
> > I was wondering about that myself.  Thanks for the information, I'll
> > give that a try.  But I definitely agree with Toshiro; it's a major
> > step *backwards*.  The rpmdrake that comes with 9.0 is amazingly
>
> Instead of a seperately written program hooking into both urpm and rpm
> libs, there is anow a series of programs hooking into the urpm libs.
> Simpler to maintain and better compatibility.  It is indeed a step
> forward from the programmer side of things.  From the user side of
> things, it could be perceived as a step backwards.  Once you learn the
> different methods and get used to it, you'll realize that it is a much
> better and more stable product.

While I'm all for programmers writing more stable products, as an end user,
I find it rather aggravating to have a well-known interface radically
changed with no explanations, especially when what is perceived is that of
reduced functionality.  This is not meant as a slam; only an expression of
frustration at having to jump through previously nonexistant hoops to use a
program.

I know that the updater is rpmdrake.  So I don't fire up drakconf to get to
it via yet another menu item - I'm usually already in a shell so I just do
a "sudo rpmdrake" and away I go.  It was only when I was going through
drakconf for something else that I stumbled across the menu icon item that
lets you configure your sources for rpmdrake.  I hope you can at least
appreciate that it would be a source of frustration. :-)

One other thing that really bothers me about the 9.0 rpmdrake:  It doesn't
seem to be as informative and easy to use as it used to be.  Before, you
could run one search and select both "by file" and "by description."  Now,
there's a drop down box that lets you select one or the other, so now you
have to run a search two ways.  Also, the left pane doesn't give you as
much information as it used to.  Before, it would tell you both the version
that's available and the one you currently have installed.  Also, it
informed you of the source of that rpm (your CD, the security update site,
another FTP site you might have configured in, etc.).  It would also show
you multiple occurances if it had multiple sources, which could be usefull
if you have more than one source configured and want to pick the one to
download from.  This new version doesn't seem to do that anymore.  Is there
some way to turn this back on?

               --Dave
--
      David Guntner      GEnie: Just say NO!