I have just joined this mailinglist and I've noticed that one of the hottest
topics is the "new look" rpmdrake.

My two cents about this topic...

I've been using MDK 8.2 since last June and I was so enthusiast about it that
I have switched all my daily tasks from Windows to Linux.
What made MDK 8.2 so special were its distro-specific tools, the best of which
was no doubt rpmdrake. It was so user-friendly it was almost addictive!

So I was looking forward to update to 9.0 and I was expecting it to feature
all the good things from 8.2 plus enhancements as long as new stuff.

As far as I can see the new release is very good (stable as rock, I must say -
though I have been using it for a few days only), but my "first impression"
was definitely spoiled when I found out that rpmdrake had been sliced into
three different pieces!

Now it is very uncomfortable to use (at opposite of its predecessor which was
100% user-friendly).

You say that you had to re-work it in order to optimize coding (I'm no
programmer so I don't know much about coding issues).

Fine, but useability (one thing that made Mandrake stand up among other
distros) has gone.

I wonder why - even with coding optimization being the main worry - wasn't it
possible to gather the three parts of the "new style" rpmdrake in one single
window, separating them with "tabs"?

That way rpmdrake would be at least useable... one could call rpmdrake and see
wether one package is installed or not without having to call two separate
apps... maybe in MDK 9.1 (hopefully)?

Take care, regards

--
Piero Piutti

Message mailed with: KMail 1.4.3 ~ KDE 3.0.3 ~ Mandrake Linux 9.0