On 9 Oct 2002, James Sparenberg wrote:

> Andy,
>
>    The only thing I can imagine it to be is that the cd reader is
> getting old and starting to wear.  This would me that the laser is quite
> tracking right all of the time. When it's a little bit off... it can't
> read correctly.  I've got one just like that in my trash can right now.

I've just come across this same error on my ECS K7S5A based system. The
CDROM would sometimes read, sometimes not. I thought it was the drive
itself so switched that out to another unit. The error went away until
a couple reboots later. After a lot of trouble shooting I determined
that the secondary IDE interface was not working relably. After plugging
everything into a PCI based IDE adapter (Promise Ultra 133TX2) it has
been working fine for the past week.

> On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 05:22, Andy Weller wrote:
> > Does anyone know of any CD-ROM read errors. It seems very temperamental
> > to me. I have two identical CD's with a 3rd party application on and
> > depending on what mood the PC is in, depends on whether it will read the
> > CD's or not!?!
> >
> > It doesn't matter if I 'su' or 'su -' to root, the problems are still
> > there. Sometimes I get lucky and it will install nearly all of my
> > application, other times it won't do anything, and I am back to square
> > one...!
> >
> > I'm really not too sure what I am doing wrong. These CD's have worked
> > perfectly before in 8.2, 8.1, 8.0 & 7.2. I have even tried to clean the
> > laser.

The symtoms in my case were:
  Attempts to mount the CD would return "Bad FS type" errors.
  Logs would should lots of "Atapi resets"
  PC BIOS would sometimes not recognize the device (this tipped me off).