I also attach to a network that uses MS too, and have really liked
LinNeighborhood, which works much like
Network Neighborhood in Windows. under LM 9.0 it was a little different
to setup than in earlier versions,
but I can see any and all boxes and printers shared on the network just
fine. and you can set it to remount them each time you log on to your
linux box. here's the link < http://www.bnro.de/~schmidjo/ > make sure
you setup samba to use the same
domain as the network ( though this shouldn't be necessary, It works
better ) also I tried to use the Mandrake firewall,
but it kills the network connections for some reason I'm still looking
into. once I tried without ever setting up the firewall, I could connect
to the network fine. then I set up firestarter for the firewall and all
is fine.
If you are trying 8.0 or 8.2 it will be easier, but there is an
additional thing you need to do to make Linneighborhood
work properly in these versions, in /usr/bin in 8.0 and /usr/sbin in 8.2
( I think )
where ever smbmnt and smbumount are , you will need to do a    chmod +s
smbmnt ( as well as ) smbumount then it works.

any questions, mail me off list and I'll try to help. though I'm no
guru. ;-)

--
Mike McNeese