Pierre Fortin wrote:
> Last year, my telco lowered its DSL rates by $10/mo; all of those savings
> went into the Mandrake Club.  This time, since it looks like I may have to
> shell out for a new writer*, whatever money is spent on it due to
> Mandrake's choice of ISO size will impact my Club level...
>
> * unfortunately, if the specs are still at 650MB, then any product is
> still a risky choice.

CD technology has always been hard to keep up with.   A new drive is
probably only good for 6 months.   And now we have obsolescence of
record speed x 2, so what do we do with those earlier x2 CD-RW blanks we
all have?   My Plextor 40/12/40 won't write them (cdrecord changes a
speed=2 request to speed=4) but my Sony 10/4/32 will.   I will have to
use the x2 blanks for giveaway software, since everyone with multiread
capability (what happened to that organisation and logo?) should be able
to read them.

It's a difficult situation, but optical technology, while having
enormous potential, is far from stable and mature - and we have another
generstion of incompatibilities (ie more expense on drives) among
optical devices ahead of us as DVDs and DVD writers emerge and CDs
become entirely obsolete (very soon now, I think).   So you have to
kind-of wait - there is always something better around the corner.
Prices have been dropping, but even so, the drive makers must be really
raking in the dough.

--
Ron. [Melbourne, Australia]
    troels... now updated to use sunet.se server.