On Sat, 19 Oct 2002 13:56:25 -0400 Sandeep Khanna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> If I start Mandrake 9 Control center once as a normal user and enter the
> root password. Noe, Close it. After this it never asks me for the root
> password !!!! Freaky security !!!!
>
> Also, If you start any of the Software Install, Software Uninstall after
> starting the Control Center, it won't ask passwords for them too !!!

Why should they?

I think the designers have made a perfectly reasonable assumption that, if
user A is logged in and has opened the MCC (or embedded applications) once
after being asked for the root password, if A is still logged in the same
person is sitting behind the computer and shouldn't have to enter the root
password again on opening the MCC.

A 'more secure' installation would force the root password to be entered at
every possible point it could be entered, and  time any shell out logged in
as root for too long, but would also be irritating to use.

Alastair