Hi All,

ET wrote:

On Saturday 19 October 2002 02:25 pm, Alastair Scott wrote:

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002 13:56:25 -0400 Sandeep Khanna
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi All,

If I start Mandrake 9 Control center once as a normal user and enter the
root password. Noe, Close it. After this it never asks me for the root
password !!!! Freaky security !!!!

Also, If you start any of the Software Install, Software Uninstall after
starting the Control Center, it won't ask passwords for them too !!!

what security level did you start with? why?

I just checked in the Control Center and my security level is Standard.

Why should they?

I think the designers have made a perfectly reasonable assumption that, if
user A is logged in and has opened the MCC (or embedded applications) once
after being asked for the root password, if A is still logged in the same
person is sitting behind the computer and shouldn't have to enter the root
password again on opening the MCC.

A 'more secure' installation would force the root password to be entered at
every possible point it could be entered, and time any shell out logged in
as root for too long, but would also be irritating to use.

Alastair

and I am willing to bet that the sudo does still time out, just not as fast as it used to, give it a day, and then try. and if you want, I bet a higher msec rateing will make it more secure until it is so tight it squeeks when root walks.

I just confirmed after keeping my computer overnight. It is indeed a feature of Mandrake to time out the root Authentication. Mandrake Control Center asked me for my root password in the morning after having left the laptop on all night.

Thanks for everyone's help.

--Sandeep

Sandeep Khanna
Graduate Student in Computer Science, Villanova University
Contact Number: (Home) 1-610-964-1320 (Office) 1-877-946-4622 Ext (106) (Cell) 1-267-253-6808

Quote of the day:

Failure is the foundation of truth. It teaches us what isn't true, and that is a great beginning. To fear failure is to fear the possibility of truth.
--Joan Chittister