Sandeep Khanna grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> If I start Mandrake 9 Control center once as a normal user and enter the
> root password. Noe, Close it. After this it never asks me for the root
> password !!!! Freaky security !!!!

It could be that it's using some kind of cookie (or something) to remember
what you entered the first time, provided you got it right.  Does this
happen after you've logged out and logged back in?

> Also, If you start any of the Software Install, Software Uninstall after
> starting the Control Center, it won't ask passwords for them too !!!

That part makes sense.  If you've provided the right root password when you
started Mandrake Control Center (drakconf), then it's running as root.
When it, in turn, starts something else, it's going to be starting it as
root - so no root password is needed again because the program already has
the permissions it needs.

                  --Dave
--
      David Guntner      GEnie: Just say NO!