Hi List !

> I thought this was a mandrake-linux related mailing-list

It still is...

> where such political _nonsense_ has nothing to search.

TCPA, DRM and Palladium is NO nonsense. It will not appear
next Year.  But maybe it's the roadmap for the next decade.
The wintel empire and the entertainment industry is behind it.
Intel and M$ push it heavily for different reasons:  Intel
to push future CPU-sales (all all CPU's to be replaced
by TCPA-enabled CPU's). And M$ to help the entertainment
industry, end the illegal copying of commercial software
and gain perfect control about who can install what software
on his/her PC...

> From an European point of view there is not much difference ...

I'm Europaen too.  I'm not familiar with the political details
and acting person's either. But the subject itself is of great
interest for the future of Linux and OSS. HP is already on the
road developping an TCPA-compliant Linux.
Since the US dominates the IT world this will afect Europe for
sure.

The interesting question will be: what will Apple, AMD or other
CPU-Manufacturers do about it ?  Will we still have access to
cheap, non-TCPA Hardware where our Linux can run on ?
I don't care about ending the ripping and copying of music
and movies.  But I care about who's limiting my choice of
software and forcing me to buy and use only "their" programs.

"My fear is that Palladium will lead us down a road where our
 computers are no longer our computers, but are instead owned by a
 variety of factions and companies all looking for a piece of our
 wallet.  To the extent that Palladium facilitates that reality,
 it's bad for society.  I don't mind companies selling, renting,
 or licensing things to me, but the loss of the power, reach,
 and flexibility of the computer is too great a price to pay."

Bruce Schneier, Cryptogram, August 15, 2002

Complete text in: http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-0208.html#1

Cheers from Berlin

Oliver