On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 18:44, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

<SNIP>

> By and large, Democrats were greased more by the entertainment industry
> than Republicans. Something on the order of 2/1. I.e., of every dollar
> donated to Republicans, two were donated to Democrats.
>
> Ahh, but look at donations from Microsoft from January 1 to Dec 31 of
> 2001: Microsoft gave $665,970 to Republicans and $295,000 to Democrats.
> Looking even further, I see that Microsoft *really* likes Republicans.

The donations between Jan 1 to Dec 31 of 2001 most probably influenced
the outcome of the DOJ trial against Microsoft.  So I agree that
Microsoft loved the Republicans *at that time*.

> Reading closer, we see that, almost without exception, the elected
> officials vote exactly as their top contributors desire. This goes for
> both Republicans and Democrats. We also see that our elected officials
> are eager to propose legislation that meets the economic interests of
> their contributors, and this is also with few exceptions.

This is a good point. And it means that we need to vote out of office
anyone that promotes stuff like the DMCA or CBDTPA; be they Rep or Dem.
Right now it's mainly Dems.

> A quick search shows that machine identification, ostensibly to allow
> secure digital content, is being backed by Microsoft through many
> Republicans and several Democrats. Content security is backed mainly
> through the entertainment industry through Democrats. But Microsoft
> could use this for software validation to prevent Linux from running on
> white-box PCs. And now Microsoft and Disney have partnered.
>
> Hmmm... One takes care of the Democrats, one takes care of the
> Republicans. Mo' money for MS and Disney.
>
> If you're reading this and think that I have some Rebulican or
> Democratic bias then a point is proven. I'm frankly sick of how easily
> money can buy any of them.
>
> Source: www.commoncause.org, cnn.com

Thank you for a meaningful, insightful, and informative response.

Best Regards,

LX

--
Kernel  2.4.18-6mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.2