On Fri, 8 Nov 2002 23:31:02 -0700, you wrote:

>So, I have to ask: why is it so difficult to get a wireless card to work
>under linux?

This works for a Dlink 11meg card and I used I think linux-wlan-1.14.
This was a little while back and I now have a 22meg Dlink which has a
different chipset and not supported by Linux.

modprobe prism2_pci

wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable

wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_autojoin ssid=<your APs SSID>
authtype=opensystem

ifconfig wlan0 <yourIP> netmask <yourNetmask> broadcast
<yourBroadcast>

route add default gw <yourGateway>

At this point it should work but mine didnt.
I had to do a extra
/etc/rc.d/init.d/wlan stop
/etc/rc.d/init.d/wlan start
then it would magically start working.