I'm not quite up on all the pcmcia stuff, I've only started using laptops
in the last 6 months and at that, I've both times managed to get pretty
compatible hardware.  I understand what you're talking about with those
dongles - what a stupid idea!  I've got a regular pcmcia eth card and a
modem which both use those weak little wires with those crappy little
connectors.  Those have been ripped out more than once when one of the
kids tripped over the wire - that's why I went wireless to begin with.

I noticed also that there are several different specs for the cardbus.
Though since I've started using laptops, I've noticed that almost
EVERYTHING is non-standard.  When I installed a 128MB stick of ram in my
toshiba, it required a razor blade, some electric tape and some tricky
manuevering to enlarge the case enough so that it would fit.  I would say
that of all hardware, the one I would least want to work on would be
compaq.  If their pc's are any comparison, I've worked on a few of those
and they are no joy.

Mike

Thursday, James Sparenberg mused:

--
Michael Holt
Banning, CA                        (o_

      Bad or missing mouse driver. Spank the cat? (Y/N)