Jim C wrote:
Experience tells me that when I stop shorewall from the command line (i.e. "service shorewall stop" from the superuser bash prompt) my network gets locked down. Ah dunno why. What I do to turn it off is go into Control Center and select Security | Firewall and then unselect everything except the Everything button. Then I do "service shorewall restart" just for good measure. Alternatively, one can just check the ssh button to allow access on ssh's port.

Geeze, when is Mandrake going to get a decent per-ethernet card GUI firewall configurator with an advanced option that covers GUI configuration for all the protocols for say port 1000 and below, an Internet Connection Shareing on/off button as well as a configure button. Heck, I could probably write it and I can't even get a Samba-LDAP PDC to run. ;-)

Jim C.
First, God Bless MandrakeSoft!!!

Second, they'll prolly get one of those things you've mentioned about the time we all get real good at setting up and configuring a firewall the old-fashioned way. by then it'll all be a mute point, ya know? :)

Mark