On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 10:30:04AM -0500, Mark Weaver wrote:

> >I grabbed an old P90 with 32MB - 540MB Drive and installed Smoothwall.
> >http://www.smoothwall.org
> >Now I run my entire network through it and just simply fergit it's there
> >except for frequent log checks.
>
> I've heard about this one before but have never seen it. I'm downloading
> the ISO now. Is this an actual installable OS/Firewall, or just firewall
> software?

It's a full installable OS/Firewall with DHCP, VPN, etc. We're running
0.99SE with the patches in on an old 486 with 8Mb of RAM (I had to move
the HD to another machine with more memory to install it, but after that
it runs fine on old hardware).  We have 17 clients and it is great.

There's a corporate and GPL version. The guys at
smoothwall.org/smoothwall.co.uk are very...  passionate about it and
have a very clear idea about what should and should not be in the GPL
version. The mailing list can be very exciting :). I read it, but don't
know enough about networking and firewalls to even frame a sensible
question. And, whatever you, don't ask if there is an online archive of
the mailing list.

The installation docs are very well written. So, from someone who is
mostly a desktop user and knows little sysadmin it is great.

Dave

--
Dave Whiting
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania