Sorry for coming in late.

> I seem to be able to mount /mnt/cdrom2 without a cd being in the
> drive...

Yes. once you have enabled supermount in the fstab, you have to call
"mount /mnt/cdrom2" to actually activate it.

>And from the moment that's done, it all seems to work... if I
> insert a cd, its contents are correctly displayed, I can eject it
> without unmounting, and I can replace the cd and it will detect that and
> get its contents right again...

Good. so it's working.

> so that would mean I should just remove the "noauto" from fstab, and I
> should be fine?

"noauto" is a parameter that means that this drive is NOT included in the list
when you tell the fstab to mount everything. for example, when you issue an
"mount -a" (this means 'mount every drive listed in the fstab) drives with
the "noauto" flag are skipped, and thus, say unmounted..

> Is that how it works?

seems so.

> Thanks
>
> Hans