Anne Wilson wrote:

That's what the verify feature of your backup program is there for.
It take twice the time and it'll probably cause more wear and tear on
the tape but at least you'll know the tape is readable.

'Fraid not. I was running backup with full verify, but it still didn't stop the drive from refusing the tape next time, saying it couldn't read it. And I was using good quality branded DAT tapes.
You just scared me to death.
I had no problem reding the tapes to restore some files from time to time (when a user deleted them by mistake), but I guess murphy's law applies here: in case of disaster the tape won't be readable :-(

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Note.- This message reached you today, it may not tomorrow if you