On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 14:00, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 Feb 2003 9:48 pm, Luca Olivetti wrote:
> > civileme wrote:
> > > Then one day I arrived at work to find the fileserver unresponsive.  I
> > > eventually powered down and found the disk would not boot and enough of
> > > it was corrupted to make the rest inaccessible.  OK no problem, data is
> > > on tapes, let's reload OS---  done  reach for tape
> > >
> > > Oops--tape is unreadable
> > > reach for two week old tape--Errrr gee that one is no good either
> > > Tapes sent to data recovery service--well whattayaknow  They charged
> > > quite a bit to give me the bad news that six years of work was lost.
> >
> > That's what the verify feature of your backup program is there for.
> > It take twice the time and it'll probably cause more wear and tear on
> > the tape but at least you'll know the tape is readable.
> >
> 'Fraid not.  I was running backup with full verify, but it still didn't stop
> the drive from refusing the tape next time, saying it couldn't read it.  And
> I was using good quality branded DAT tapes.
>
> Anne

After using and selling "Enterprise" IT products and services for nearly
ten years, I do not trust any backup solution as far as I can throw the
media. They all more or less suck, and exist purely to give a false
sense of security and "we did our due diligence" to the purchaser.

I use and recommend to those who ask for an honest opinion the Linus
Torvalds backup strategy: "Real men upload their important data to FTP
servers and let the world download it." That doesn't mean to upload your
corporate database, but it does mean to replicate the data to other
locations and use hard disks.
--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...