On Monday 10 February 2003 08:44 pm, Jack Coates wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 20:04, Rob Blomquist wrote:
> > I am not new to linux, but new to Mandrake and USB stuff.
> >
> > I am having a problem consistantly syncing my visor using
> > KPilot/JPilot and anything else. Basically, I have attempted to
> > follow every step to perfection, and I will sync 1 out of 20
> > times attempting, but I keep failing.
>
> oh yeah, that means the connectizoid has come defroozled from the
> left side. Tighten it up and all will be well.

Ah, yes, oh master, I see the connectizoid is dangling by a
participle, let me froozle it and life will be grand.

> > I can't imagine that there is no one else with these problems,
> > and I am curious how they can be solved.
>
> Tell us which problems and you might get a useful answer. Some
> things to consider:
>
> 1) USB devices don't exist in Linux until there's a signal on the
> bus; there isn't one with Visor/Clie/&c until you press hotsync. 2)
> look in the log file after pressing the button and you'll find out
> whether the kernel is recognizing that something happened and
> the thing's going to show up at.
> 3) user-space programs won't work until the above is straightened
> out.
I have created /dev/ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1, set them to 666, then
symlinked ttyUSB1 to /dev/pilot.

In KPilot, I have set the program to use /dev/pilot at 9600 baud.

I hook up the hotsync block to the USB port, push the hotsync button,
the Visor wakes, KPilot wakes, giving a desktop icon, I click it, and
(Log file from KPilot)
Version: KPilot 4.3.6 (3_1_BRANCH)
Version: pilot-link 0.11.3
Version: KDE 3.1.0
Version: Qt 3.1.1

HotSync Log

21:26:39  Trying to open device...
21:26:39  Device link ready.
21:27:07  Can't accept Pilot (Connection timed out)

Now, in /var/log/messages the following is being recorded:

Feb 10 21:26:35 timmy2 kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on
bus2/3, assigned device number 20
Feb 10 21:26:35 timmy2 kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter
detected
Feb 10 21:26:35 timmy2 kernel: visor.c: Handspring Visor: Number of
ports: 2
Feb 10 21:26:35 timmy2 kernel: visor.c: Handspring Visor: port 1, is
for Generic use and is bound to ttyUSB0
Feb 10 21:26:35 timmy2 kernel: visor.c: Handspring Visor: port 2, is
for HotSync use and is bound to ttyUSB1
Feb 10 21:26:35 timmy2 kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter
now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for devfs)
Feb 10 21:26:35 timmy2 kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter
now attached to ttyUSB1 (or usb/tts/1 for devfs)
Feb 10 21:26:38 timmy2 /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup visor for USB
product 82d/100/100
Feb 10 21:27:29 timmy2 kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device 20
Feb 10 21:27:29 timmy2 kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter
now disconnected from ttyUSB0
Feb 10 21:27:29 timmy2 kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter
now disconnected from ttyUSB1

The kernel messages are basically the same whether or not the Visor
syncs.

The problem that I have is that I can't figure out why KPilot syncs or
fails to sync.

Is there something that I am doing/have done/will do wrong? Why does
it seem that I am so close to consistantly syncing yet so far away?

Grasshopper

--
Rob Blomquist
Kirkland, WA

On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section,
it said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux and
lived
happily ever after.