I ran into the same problem.  kpilot daemon interferes with jpilot's sync, so I turned off kpilot daemon and jpilot seems to work better.  Still having problems though.  Almost always never works on the first sync.  I never have gotten kpilot working properly.  I have a handspring visor deluxe as well.