On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 08:04:12PM -0800, Rob Blomquist wrote:
> I am not new to linux, but new to Mandrake and USB stuff.
>
> I am having a problem consistantly syncing my visor using
> KPilot/JPilot and anything else. Basically, I have attempted to
> follow every step to perfection, and I will sync 1 out of 20 times
> attempting, but I keep failing.

I starting having this exact trouble with my Visor Deluxe when I
upgraded to 9.0 (it worked beautifully on 8.1 every time).  I have
disabled devfs, there's no kpilotd running, and syncing is still
unreliable.

But I've finally been able to get it to work with jpilot on at least one
out of every four attempts, better than one out of twenty.  The steps
below assume you've got jpilot configured to talk to the correct device
(/dev/ttyUSB1 in my case, though /dev/usb/ttyUSB1 should be the same),
the device has the correct permissions, etc.

1. Manually remove the usbserial and visor modules if they're loaded:

  rmmod visor
  rmmod usbserial

2. Start a "local sync" on the Visor.

3. 'tail -f /var/log messages' and wait until you see something like
this message come out (make take 10 seconds):

  Feb 11 10:32:10 xxxxx kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor / Palm 4.0 / Clii 4.x
converter now attached to ttyUSB1 (or usb/tts/1 for devfs)

4. Start jpilot and press the "Sync" button.

5. If jpilot seems to hang, close it, cancel the sync on the Visor, and
go to step 1.

It's pretty annoying but I'm too lazy to debug the pilot-link library to try
to figure out if it's the cause, or if it's a driver problem.