Ric and others,

This is a message that was just posted to Cooker. I'm posting it here
because it's directly relevant to this discussion:

Miark

Date: 13 Mar 2003 15:59:06 -0400
From: Jean-Michel Dault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Cooker] OT: War, french fries and Mandrake Linux

There has been a lot of discussion about Americans wanting to boycott
french products, and some mails of people that said they wouldn't buy
Mandrake Linux because of that.

Some facts you might want to know:

- The Mandrake Linux boxes sold in the stores in the USA are *not* a
  French product, but an american-made product, since the boxes, CDs and
  manuals are manufactured by Pearson/Macmillan right in the US.

- MandrakeSoft has developers all around the globe. The security updates
  are made by a Canadian, the I18N leader is in Belgium, the Documentation
  team has people in Quebec and Argentina, our kernel guy is in Spain, our
  LSB and DrakXterm guy is in Ohio... and I am Quebecois ;-)

If the Americans want to truly boycott French products, I suggest they
go with the typical: Bordeaux wine and Camembert. After all, they are
products that the average Joe Sixpack doesn't buy anyway, as he prefers
Budweiser and Cheez Whiz ;-)

During my last trip to NYC, I was shocked at the fact that you can buy
beer 24/24 (except sunday mornings) at any corner store, while you have
to go to a Liquor Store to get wine, and that any decent bottle costs
about the same price as a Windows XP server box, that is, an arm and a
leg...

Jean-Michel