Ok, I have a severe problem with MDK 9.1, can't even boot anymore. Can
anyone help?

Here is what happened:

1. In KDE I selected Removable Media/Zip to mount/open in Konq a zip disk

2. KDE panel lockup.
This happened to me before, I guess because of problems with automount.
Previously I 'fixed' it by Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill X and log in again
(couldn't find anything better). Didn't work this time, got system lockup.

3. I did hard reboot. Selected "y" for System Integrity check. Problems
were reported on /dev/hda6 (that's my / as I recalled later). System
offered to fix problems (data may be lost), I said "n" hoping first to
boot and save my today's work. It seems I should have said "y"! More
messages about problems on /dev/hda6 with offers to fix. At this point I
decided to reboot and answer "y" to 'fix problems?' question.

4. Hard reboot. Even worse now, got these messages right away:
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit"
INIT: entering runlevel: 5
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc"
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
(Same message repeated for Id "2" - "6")
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

5. Ok, tried to boot from my MDK 9.1 boot disk (made during the
installation), got:
SYSLINUX 1.67
Could not find kernel image: linux
boot:

What do I do now?

6. Tried booting from MDK 9.1 install CD and going into "rescue", but that
stuff is just way over my head...

---
Ok, it seems I made a bad decision when I said "n" to fixing /
problems :-( Do I have any choices at this point (feasible for someone who
is a day-to-day user but not an expert), short of reinstalling 9.1 (at
least the /usr, so I don't lose /home, etc.)?

Thank you!
Sleep time now :-)

Aleksey