> 4. Hard reboot. Even worse now, got these messages right away:
> INIT: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit"
> INIT: entering runlevel: 5
> INIT: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc"
> INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> (Same message repeated for Id "2" - "6")
> INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
>
> 5. Ok, tried to boot from my MDK 9.1 boot disk (made during the
> installation), got:
> SYSLINUX 1.67
> Could not find kernel image: linux
> boot:
>
> What do I do now?
>
> 6. Tried booting from MDK 9.1 install CD and going into "rescue", but that
> stuff is just way over my head...

My guess is that the kernel got munched in the crash, so you can't boot.

You should try Mandrake's other boot choices: linux-nonfb or failsafe at the
boot: prompt.

You are on the right path to boot into your machine with the install CD. I
agree it is harder to navigate, and the real bummer it is read-only on the
disk.

If these fail, you can try to copy important stuff off the disk, and then
reinstall.
--

Linux: For the people, by the people.