Thanks to all (Rob, Rolf, Steven) for good suggestions!

No "linux-nonfb" and "failsafe" do not for me giving the same INIT messages. I was able to make some progress by booting with MDK 9.1 CD into "rescue", then going to console:
(a) Ran fsck.ext2 on my / and it complained that the superblock is bad. Ran it again with the alternate superblock (8193) and fixed a whole lot of problems (incorrect ref counts, etc.). Still no booting, get the same INIT messages
(b) Then I noticed that in my /etc there is no "rc.d" at all, no wonder "init" complaines that it "cannot execute /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit" and there are no more processes at a runlevel. Also there is no "init.d", so all start/stop scripts are gone. Wonder how that could have happened???

More importantly, what could I do now short of reinstalling? I don't have "rc.d" backed up anywhere. Is it possible to get "rc.d" by installing an rpm, which one then? Or do these scripts get generated somehow during an install? Any ideas are welcome...

Thank you,
Aleksey

Steven Broos wrote:

I had a comparable problem a couple days ago. Same errors...
Turned out to be my fault (ofcourse): I changed something in
/etc/security/console.perms. Because of that reason, my harddrives
weren't listed in /dev/, could not be load, etc... It gave a suggestion "maybe your MBR is bad, try this e2fsck...".

I booted in linux-failsave mode (which was working) and edited the file
console.perms. (I forgot to comment a line :-))

Maybe you can learn some more by watching the booting-errors above the
suggestions closely ? (you can scroll up by pressing shift-pgup)

Steven