Thanks to all for valuable suggestions! I ended up taring /home to a FAT32
partition, then reinstalling from scratch and restoring /home. This time I
set / and /home to ReiserFS (Rolf, Rob -- thanks for the advise).

Funny, after all this work -- in the new installation trying to access Zip in
KDE locks up the panel again (this is where my problem started in the first
place: trying to kill X at this point with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace), only this
time I just waited :-) ... it does open up after a minute. Somewhat
dissappointing that it is so sluggish, maybe I'll disable supermount on it...

Again, thank you all for helping!
Aleksey

--
Aleksey Naumov