Every list I've been on that implemented such a setup ended up dead
within the year. Traffic levels drop alright, spiraling down to zero. As
long as truly OT flamewars and silliness are kept down, the sort of list
non-structure that we currently enjoy allows a sense of community to
form, allows one advice-giver to amplify or correct another
advice-giver's answer, and allows serendipitous connections to be drawn.

Rather than less traffic, in my opinion we should have more traffic --
as I've said before, I would merge the newbie and expert lists into a
single users list.

I don't believe that there is a moderator since Todd left. Per Vincent's
message, it appears that Mandrake has decided to shift their attention
to web-fora as a support channel (bad mistake) and is consequently
deprioritizing all lists other than cooker. Furthermore, mailing lists
were never a support channel, support isn't really support, and black is
truly white if you just stop and think about it long enough.

Jack